my professional history
Writer, turner florist, turned writer once more. I spent nearly a decade as a professional copywriter (three years on the client side, six on the agency side) with a focus on branding, marketing and advertising for clients primarily in the healthcare, financial and hospitality worlds. Whatever the product or industry, I've never met a story I didn't want to tell.
Freelance Writer – Advertising, Marketing, Branding & Editorial
May 2011 – present
· Currently offsite contract writing for Wedding Guide Chicago. Duties include research into wedding and design trends, crowdsourcing, reaching out to local thinkers and makers, and bringing it all to life in the magazine. I work with the publisher and multiple section editors to ensure copy is on tone, on-length and on-brand.
· On call for 88 Brand Partners, where I periodically fill in as an extra creative concepting brain and wordsmith on new business pitches.
· Previously freelanced as a copywriter at Simple Truth, working on healthcare accounts, and for small businesses like The Centre for Contemporary Dentistry, where I handled everything from full website and digital copy, to direct mail pushes.
Wedding Sales Lead and Event Design Specialist
Fleur - 2651 North Milwaukee Avenue, Logan Square, Chicago
May 2015 – September 2016
· Responsible for more than $200,000 in gross wedding floral sales.
· Managed a heavy workload of face-to-face client meetings every week, followed by delivering descriptive design plans in a timely manner.
· Turned around edits to design plans multiple times over to assure booking, then maintained close relationships with every client until completion of their wedding.
· Served as lead floral designer on all weddings and events.
· Trained wedding design staff on sales and design.
· Created and marketed a robust floral design classes program to supplement sales in the off-season, and personally taught every class of students.
Proprietor and Lead Event Designer
Forget Me Knodt - 1313 West Wilson Avenue, Uptown, Chicago
January 2000 – April 2015
· Built a business from the ground up by leveraging effective social media marketing and superb customer service.
· Managed all social media channels daily – including a content-rich website and blog.
· Booked 75 weddings in my first year alone, resulting in a profitable first year for the tiny retail space.
· Forged relationships with local publications for brand awareness to much success - including the cover of the Red Eye and a four page spread.
Pratt Marketing Group/88 Brand Partners - 542 South Dearborn Street, Printer’s Row, Chicago
November 2005 – May 2012
· Served as the lead writer on the Discover Card account for 6 straight years, as well as NorthShore University HealthSystem and the Lettuce Entertain You restaurant group.
· Represented the agency well on all my accounts, and assisted Client Services in nurturing healthy client partnerships via hundreds upon hundreds of in-person meetings, dinners, lunches and conference calls.
· Worked with the Design Team every day from ideation to execution, stretching ourselves to deliver stunning, on-brand, effective creative concepts to all of our clients.
· Happily took on the challenge of competing against other agencies in multiple new business pitches.
· After the untimely and devastating death of our owner Christine Pratt, I served as lead copywriter on the full-scale rebranding of the agency, leading the charge on a new name and logo, new brand and missions messaging, a revamped brand voice, and new marketing materials beginning with the website.
Discover Financial Services - 2500 Lake Cook Road, Riverwoods IL
November 2002 – September 2005
· Attended daily kickoff meetings, brainstorms and presentations, learning the ins and outs of creative briefs, and how to write succinct advertising copy.
· Worked with in-house clients and third party vendors to launch new products and increase sales in existing ones.
· Participated as a chosen team member on several important new business initiatives, which taught me the merits of hard work, long hours, and stretching my mind to mine creative concepts nobody else had yet explored.
Bachelor of Arts Degree - University of California, San Diego, 2002
Everything a Copywriter Needs to Know
· MS Office Suite, including Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
· Working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop.
· Capable of creating and editing within such platforms as Wordpress, Blogger and Squarespace.